Terry serves as the vice-chair of the firm’s Appellate Advocacy and Post-Trial Practice Group. In her capacity as an appellate attorney, Terry has developed significant experience representing all manner of insureds, self-insureds and insurance carriers. With 30 years of experience as a civil litigator, including 20 as a trial attorney, Terry has the understanding and the ability to work closely with trial counsel, prior to and during trial, to ensure that all potential appellate issues are preserved.
Terry's background as a trained pharmacist has added significantly to her practice in the defense of medical and dental professionals in wide-ranging liability actions brought against them. As well, Terry is experienced in product liability, insurance coverage matters, and uninsured and underinsured motorists coverage disputes. She has regularly appeared before the Pennsylvania State and Federal courts, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and the Pennsylvania Superior and Supreme Courts.
Frequently, Terry is asked to make presentations and author articles on insurance-related topics, as well as appellate practices. She has often been asked to represent insurance industry groups, as amici curiae, before the Pennsylvania Superior and Supreme Courts. Terry has been among the top five percent of lawyers chosen by her peers in Pennsylvania Super Lawyers as published by American Lawyer Media and Philadelphia Magazine. In 2013, she chaired the Bar Association's Commission on Judicial Selection and Retention.
Dedicated to community service, Terry currently serves as a board member, Vice President and Registrar for the Chestnut Hill Youth Sports Club. As well, she is a board member of the Twin Lakes Conservancy.
Significant Representative Matters
Successful defense on appeal of judgment for defendants in premises liability death case.
Represented large university in successful defense of post-trial motions following verdict in university’s favor in case involving catastrophic injury to student, and affirmance of that result on appeal.
Represented major university health system in successful defense of Superior Court appeal involving issues of first impression regarding expert witness requirements in alleged nursing malpractice case, and ongoing defense in Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
Represented insurance carrier in successful appeal to Superior Court and successful defense in Supreme Court resulting in reversal of seven-figure judgment arising from shooting during armed robbery.
Represented Northeastern Pennsylvania college in successful appeal to Superior Court and successful defense in Supreme Court, resulting in reversal of $2.5 million judgment against the college and remand for entry of judgment in its favor in case arising from campus construction project and involving complex issues including college’s control over the worksite.
Areas of Practice
2016 Most Important Recent Cases, Dispute Resolution Institute's 18th Annual Personal Injury Potpourri, April 12, 2016
Highlights in Pennsylvania Medical Malpractice Law, Health Care and Health Law Seminar, Marshall Dennehey, November 5, 2015
What Can We Learn from Nancy Raynor?, Philadelphia Association of Defense Counsel, June 2015
Appellate Watch, Dispute Resolution Institute's 17th Annual Personal Injury Potpourri, 2015
Appellate Law and Procedure Update 2012, Philadelphia Association of Defense Counsel, 2012
Appellate Update 2011-2012, Defense Research Institute, 2012
Guest Lecturer/Panelist, Temple University Beasley School of Law, 2011
Winning (or Not Losing) Your Case On Appeal, Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2010
"Automobile Insurance Law - Substance and Ethics," UM/UIM Update, Philadelphia Bar Education Center, 1995
Villanova University School of Law, Villanova, PA (J.D., 1984)
Honors: cum laude
Honors: Member and Officer of the Moot Court Board
University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT (B.S., 1980)
Honors: cum laude
Honors: Rho Chi National Pharmaceutical Honor Society
Honors: Alpha Lambda Delta National Honor Society
Areas of Practice
- Villanova University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1984)
- University of Connecticut (B.S., cum laude, 1980)
- Pennsylvania, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1985
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, 1984
- U.S. Supreme Court
Associations & Memberships
- Bar Association of the Third Federal Circuit
- Chestnut Hill Youth Sports Club - Board Member, Vice President and Registrar, 2003 – Present; Commissioner of travel soccer program, 2004 – 2009
- Hearing Committee Member, Serving the Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, 2000-2006
- Lawyers’ Club of Philadelphia - Board of Directors (2013)
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Defense Institute - Board Member 2006-2012
- Philadelphia Association of Defense Counsel - Past President, President-Elect, Vice President and Secretary; Board Member 1997-2004
- Philadelphia Bar Association - 2013 Chair, Commission on Judicial Selection and Retention; Member, Appellate Courts Committee
- Twin Lakes Conservancy - Board Member, 2000-Present
Honors & Awards
- AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, 2006, 2008-2016
- Philadelphia Association of Defense Counsel, William J. O'Brien Distinguished Service Award as "Defense Lawyer of the Year", 2015