Arthur (Terry) W. Lefco has developed a reputation as one of the Philadelphia areas' most experienced and accomplished trial lawyers in professional liability, coverage and commercial litigation cases. His fellow lawyers and their insurers routinely seek out his advice, counsel and representation.
Terry's service to the bar and the public in law-related fields, such as the Pennsylvania Disciplinary Board, the American Law Institute, the University of Pennsylvania Law School and the Philadelphia and Pennsylvania Bar Associations, has been extensive. He has written and lectured often in the areas of lawyers' professional liability and professional responsibilities.
Terry was selected the 2016 Legal Malpractice Law – Defendants "Lawyer of the Year" for Philadelphia by Best Lawyers in America®. Terry is also recognized by Best Lawyers in the areas of Professional Malpractice Law-Defendants and Commercial Litigation. He has been recognized as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer for the past ten years and is rated AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell.
Significant Representative Matters
Brandow Chevrolet Inc., et al., vs. Reed Smith LLP (2015). Three-week jury trial on legal malpractice claim seeking in excess of $18 Million. Defense verdict. No appeal.
Capital Care v. Hunt, 847 A.2d 75 (PA Super. 2004). Restated standard for scope of attorney duty to client.
UA Theatre Circuit, Inc. v. Twp. of Warrington, 316 F.3d 392, 2003 U.S. App. LEXIS 515 (3d Cir. Pa. 2003). Established requirement in 3rd Circuit that denial of substantive due process requires conduct which shocks the conscience.
Int'l Land Acquisitions, Inc. v. Fausto, 39 Fed. Appx. 751, 2002 U.S. App. LEXIS 13256 (3d Circuit Court of Appeals 2002). Plaintiff's expert testimony in legal malpractice case defective where no opinion on causation.
Nixon v. Fax.com, 196 F. Supp. 2d 920 (Ed MO 2002). Declared Telephone Consumer Protection Act of 1992 unconstitutional in defense of First Amendment.
Oliver v. Sid Bernstein, Ltd., 1997 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 3276 (E.D. Pa. 1997). Jury verdict in favor of lawyer on fraud claim relating to escrow account.
Home Ins. Co. v. Powell, 1996 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 6863 (E.D. Pa. 1996). Malpractice insurance coverage based on subjective / objective analysis of lawyer's knowledge.
Atkinson v. Haug, 424 Pa. Super. 406, 622 A.2d 983 (Pa. Super. 1993). Redefined implied attorney client relationship under PA Law.
Areas of Practice
False Arrest and Malicious Prosecution, webinar, CNA Insurance, September 2011
Malpractice Avoidance Seminars - Delaware County Bar Association, Montgomery County Bar Association, Bucks County Bar Association, 2008 - 2010
Numerous Malpractice Avoidance Seminars - Pennsylvania Law Firms, 1990 - 2010
Malpractice Avoidance Seminar, Conference of County Bar Leaders, State College, Pennsylvania, March 4, 2005
Avoiding Malpractice Liability, Pennsylvania Bar Association, Reading, Pennsylvania, April 19, 2005
Special Problems of Lawyer Experts, Pennsylvania Bar Association Civil Litigation Section, Annual Retreat, April 1113, 2003
Hot Topics in Business Litigation, Professional Education Systems, Inc., November 19, 2002
Legal Ethics in Pennsylvania, Lorman Education Services, September 18, 2002
Avoiding and Dealing With Tax Malpractice Cases, Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants, Greater Philadelphia Chapter, November 28, 2001
"Insurance Claim Information May Be Discoverable," ABA Journal, July 2000
"Wrongful Use of Civil Proceedings," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, 2000
"Successful Termination in Wrongful Use of Civil Proceedings Cases," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, PBI No. 2000-2546 B
"Common Causes of Legal Malpractice and How to Avoid Them," Pennsylvania Bar Institute, PBI No. 1999-2339
University of Pennsylvania School of Law, Philadelphia, PA (J.D., 1971)
Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI (B.S., with honors, 1968)
Past Employment Positions
Cozen O'Connor, Senior Member, 1998 - 2002
Sherr, Joffe & Zuckerman P.C., Shareholder, 1994 - 1998
Mesirov, Gelman, Jaffe, Cramer & Jamieson, Associate to Partner, 1975 - 1994
Philadelphia Housing Authority, General Counsel, 1973 - 1975
Areas of Practice
- University of Pennsylvania School of Law (J.D., 1971)
- Michigan State University (B.S., with honors, 1968)
- Pennsylvania, 1971
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1972
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1985
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1984
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1984
Associations & Memberships
- American Bar Association
- American Law Institute, Elected Member
- Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers
- Court of Common Pleas, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania, Judge Pro Tempore, 1994 to present
- Hearing Committee Chair, Serving the Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania, 2001 - 2004
- Hearing Committee Member, Serving the Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania 1998 - 2001
- Philadelphia Bar Association, Insurance Programs Committee, 1983 - Present
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Professional Liability Committee, Vice Chair 2010, Past Chair
- University of Pennsylvania Law School Alumni Society, 1995 - Present. Past President
- Whitemarsh Township Planning Commission, Member
Honors & Awards
- AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Attorneys Listed by Best Lawyers in America - Philadelphia Legal Malpractice Law - Defendants "Lawyer of the Year" 2016; Commercial Litigation, Legal Malpractice Law-Defendants, Professional Malpractice Law-Defendants , 2007-Present
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyer, 2005-2016
- Philadelphia Best Lawyers, 2007-Present
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, Alumni Award of Merit