Alan Carroll (A.C.) Nash focuses his practice on the defense of claims made and suits brought against insureds and businesses in product, automobile, commercial, construction, and premises liability matters. A.C.’s public sector and municipality practice encompasses the representation of municipalities and law enforcement agencies in issues concerning federal and state civil rights cases involving false arrest, malicious prosecution and excessive force.
Prior to joining Marshall Dennehey, A.C. was a trial litigation associate for a Ft. Lauderdale-based law enforcement and municipal defense law firm, whose practice was established over 30 years ago. While at this firm, A.C. was able to expand his trial experience. Working closely with the managing partner, A.C. was instrumental in defending law enforcement and municipal clients in civil rights cases in state and federal courts throughout Florida.
In 2007, A.C. graduated from the Florida State University College of Law, earning his juris doctor. Prior to graduation, A.C. gained practical criminal trial experience serving as a certified legal intern for the Second Judicial Circuit of Florida. In this capacity, A.C. tried approximately 40 jury and non-jury misdemeanor and felony criminal trials. While in law school, A.C. was a member and coach of the Mock Trial Team, served as a student ambassador and traveling recruiter for the law school, was appointed to the Dean's Cabinet and was the 5th Circuit American Bar Association Governor. At graduation, A.C. was a recipient of the Distinguished Pro Bono Award.
A South Florida native, A.C. graduated early from the University of Florida, where he majored in public relations. Prior to entering law school, A.C. worked for an established Miami-based public relations firm where he was responsible for several state and national accounts which garnered nationwide recognition. He was later recruited by two Fortune 100 companies to manage, prepare and execute advertising and marketing programs targeting areas of South Florida.
A.C. continues to donate a significant amount of time to mentoring students throughout the state of Florida including elementary, high school, undergraduate and law school levels. A.C is a member of several professional organizations including the Broward County Bar Association, T.J. Reddick Bar Association, Emerge Broward, and he is an Encourage Broward Mentor for Broward Community College. A.C. also sits on the board of the Ft. Lauderdale Community Development Corporation.
A.C. is admitted to practice in the state of Florida, and all federal courts in Florida including the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
Moderator, DRI Diversity for Success Seminar, 2013
Moderator, Nova Law School's Stand Your Ground Forum, 2012
Brown Mackie College, Paralegal Program -Professor of Contracts, Legal Research/Writing and Constitutional Law, 2009 - 2010
Past Employment Positions
Purdy, Jolly, Giuffreda, and Barranco, P.A., Associate, 2007 - 2010
The Law Firm of Christopher M. O'Neal, Law Clerk, 2006 - 2007
State Attorney's Office, Second Judicial Circuit, Certified Legal Intern, 2007
Florida State University College of Law, Tallahassee, Florida, 2007 .D.
Honors: Mock Trial Team Coach and Member
Honors: Dean's Cabinet
Honors: Distinguished Pro Bono Award
University of Florida, 2003 B.S.
Major: Public Relations
Minor: Communications Studies
Significant Representative Matters
Grant of judgment as a matter of law for the Sheriff's Department and individual deputy in an excessive force federal trial involving the shooting death of a suspect.
Defense verdict in a federal trial for the Sheriff's Department and individual deputy in an excessive force case involving the use of a canine.
Grant of dismissal in a federal case involving the alleged interference of a prisoner's rights to access the courts and to free speech.
Grant of dismissal in a federal case wherein plaintiff alleged that a private corporation acted under color of law and violated his 8th Amendment Rights.
Areas of Practice
- Florida State University College of Law (J.D., 2007)
- University of Florida (B.S., 2003)
- Florida, 2007
- U.S District Court Southern District of Florida, 2008
- U.S District Court Middle District of Florida, 2008
- U.S District Court Northern District of Florida, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 2008
Associations & Memberships
- Broward County Bar Association, 2007 - Present
- Florida Association of Police Attorneys, 2010
- Ft. Lauderdale Community Development Corporation, Vice President 2012
- Ft. Lauderdale Community Development Corporation, Board Member, 2008 - Present
- T.J. Reddick Bar Association, Executive Board, 2012 - Present
- The Florida Bar - Student Education/Admissions to The Bar Committee
- DRI - Diversity for Success Seminar and Expo Marketing Director, 2013 - Present
- DRI - Diversity Committee Chair to the Marketing Subcommittee
Honors & Awards
- Florida Legal Elite, 2010 and 2012
- Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers, Excellence in Trial Advocacy, 2006
- Florida Super Lawyer Rising Star, 2012-2013
- The Florida Bar Leadership Academy, Fellow, 2013 - 2014
- AV® Preeminent™ by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell