Alan Carroll (A.C.) Nash focuses his practice on the defense of claims made and suits brought against insureds and businesses in product, automobile, commercial, liquor liability, construction and premises liability matters. A.C.’s public sector and municipality practice encompasses the representation of municipalities and law enforcement agencies in issues concerning federal and state civil rights cases involving false arrest, malicious prosecution and excessive force.
Prior to joining Marshall Dennehey, A.C. was a trial litigation associate for a Fort Lauderdale-based law enforcement and municipal defense law firm, whose practice was established over 30 years ago. While at this firm, he was able to expand his trial experience. Working closely with the managing partner, A.C. was instrumental in defending law enforcement and municipal clients in civil rights cases in state and federal courts throughout Florida.
In 2007, A.C. graduated from the Florida State University College of Law, earning his juris doctor. Prior to graduation, he gained practical criminal trial experience serving as a certified legal intern for the Second Judicial Circuit of Florida. In this capacity, he tried approximately 40 jury and non-jury misdemeanor and felony criminal trials. While in law school, A.C. was a member and coach of the Mock Trial Team, served as a student ambassador and traveling recruiter for the law school, was appointed to the Dean's Cabinet and was the 5th Circuit American Bar Association Governor. At graduation, he was a recipient of the Distinguished Pro Bono Award.
A South Florida native, A.C. graduated early from the University of Florida, where he majored in public relations. Prior to entering law school, A.C. worked for an established Miami-based public relations firm where he was responsible for several state and national accounts which garnered nationwide recognition. He was later recruited by two Fortune 100 companies to manage, prepare and execute advertising and marketing programs targeting areas of South Florida.
A.C. continues to donate a significant amount of time to mentoring students throughout the state of Florida including elementary, high school, undergraduate and law school levels. He is a member of several professional organizations, including the Broward County Bar Association, T.J. Reddick Bar Association and Emerge Broward, and he is an Encourage Broward Mentor for Broward Community College. A.C. also sits on the board of the Fort Lauderdale Community Development Corporation. Additionally, he was Lead Counsel Rated for Civil Litigation by Lead Counsel in 2015, a service of Thompson Reuters.
A.C. is admitted to practice in the state of Florida, and all federal courts in Florida including the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
Significant Representative Matters
Grant of judgment as a matter of law for the Sheriff's department and individual deputy in an excessive force federal trial involving the shooting death of a suspect.
Defense verdict in a federal trial for the Sheriff's department and individual deputy in an excessive force case involving the use of a canine.
Grant of dismissal in a federal case involving the alleged interference of a prisoner's rights to access the courts and to free speech.
Grant of dismissal in a federal case wherein plaintiff alleged that a private corporation acted under color of law and violated his 8th Amendment Rights.
Areas of Practice
Defending Negligent Security Claims, RIMKUS' 9th Annual CLE/CE Seminar, October 21, 2016
"Negligent Security Claims: If the Crime is Foreseeable, the Risk is Believable", RIMS - Central Florida Chapter, November 19, 2015
Using Crime Grids in Negligent Security Claims, Marshall Dennehey Florida Claims Symposium - The Best Defense is a Good Offense, Orlando, FL, September 17, 2014
Diversity for Success Seminar, DRI, Moderator, 2013
Stand Your Ground Forum, Nova Law School, Moderator, 2012
Paralegal Program - Professor of Contracts, Legal Research/Writing and Constitutional Law, Brown Mackie College, 2009 - 2010
"Removing That Slip and Fall Case to Federal Court," For The Defense, February 2016
"Negligent Tenants Leave Room for Exposed Landlords," Daily Business Review, Personal Injury Special Report, July 27, 2015
"Let’s Have A Look At The Footage," Law Enforcement Technology, March 2014, co-author
"You Slip. You Fall. You Lose. Florida's Updated Transient Foreign Substance Statute," Defense Digest, Vol. 19, No. 4, December 2013
Pro Bono Activities
Fort Lauderdale Community Development Corporation, Vice President, 2012
Fort Lauderdale Community Development Corporation, Board Member, 2008 - Present
Florida State University College of Law, Tallahassee, Florida (J.D., 2007)
Honors: Mock Trial Team Coach and Member
Honors: Dean's Cabinet
Honors: Distinguished Pro Bono Award
University of Florida (B.S., 2003)
Major: Public Relations
Minor: Communications Studies
Areas of Practice
- Florida State University College of Law (J.D., 2007)
- University of Florida (B.S., 2003)
- Florida, 2007
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 2008
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida, 2008
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Florida, 2008
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 2008
Associations & Memberships
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- DRI - Diversity for Success Seminar and Expo, Expo Chair 2016 - Present
- DRI - Diversity for Success Seminar and Expo Marketing Chair, 2013 - 2015
- DRI - Diversity Committee Chair to the Marketing Subcommittee
- DRI - Diversity Committee Liaison to the Aviation Law Committee
- DRI - Retail and Hospitality Seminar, Committee Member 2016 - Present
- Florida Association of Police Attorneys, 2010
- T.J. Reddick Bar Association, Executive Board, 2012 - Present
- The Florida Bar - Student Education/Admissions to The Bar Committee
Honors & Awards
- AV® Preeminent™ by Martindale-Hubbell®
- Academy of Florida Trial Lawyers, Excellence in Trial Advocacy, 2006
- Florida Legal Elite, 2010 and 2012
- Florida Super Lawyer Rising Star-Civil Litigation Defense, 2012-2016
- The Florida Bar Leadership Academy, Fellow, 2013 - 2014
- "2014 Rising Star" by the Daily Business Review, 2014
- Lead Counsel Rated for Civil Litigation by Lead Counsel in 2015, a service of Thompson Reuters